(The Star) – The controversial billboard publicising the German beer festival Oktoberfest scheduled this weekend at a shopping mall has been declared illegal.
Shah Alam Mayor Datuk Mohd Jaafar Mohd Attan said promotional activities of the event including the putting up of the billboard did not received the approval from the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA).
“The Mentri Besar will make the necessary announcement after his exco meeting as I had already brief him on the matter.
“Everyone has been advised to be extra careful and sensitive as we are living in a multicultural and multi-ethnic society,” he told reporters at the Hari Raya Aidil Adha programme at the Wisma MBSA on Wednesday.
He also noted that the there were no applications to put up the billboard and it had been brought down by the local authorities.
Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali said that he had received all the response from MBSA and will discuss the matter during the exco meeting.
“We will make an announcement later today,” he said.
It was reported that PAS is upset over the event and has demanded that the Selangor state government to relocate or cancel the event.
PAS exco member for the Infrastructure, Public Amenities and Agricultural portfolio said events organised on a big scale and advertised openly on billboards and at supermarkets clearly go against societal norms, including those of all religions.
Held since 1810, the Oktoberfest is claimed to be the world’s largest festival and is held annually in Munich, Germany. Other major cities also hold Oktoberfest celebrations.
PAS central committee member and Temerloh MP Nasrudin Hassan also slammed the festival on his Facebook page on Monday, calling it a vice that the Federal and state government should curb.